2005/03/26

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

This game has been hyped to the moon and back as the messiah of stealth games and garnered numerous game of the year awards from all over the place. Now, I've played the original PlayStation MGS game, but missed the Sons of Liberty game on PS2, and I myself bought into the hype of Snake Eater like many others. Unfortunately, I might be the only gamer on the planet that finds this game to be a complete pile of total CRAP.
Where to begin? How about playing the game at one of the WORSE camera angles EVER? The default camera is at an almost overhead view and it seriously disrupts your view as you can't hardly see anything ahead of you till it's too late. I would have preferred a third-person view than the one used here. It deliberately works against you as you can't control the camera angles save for move the screen around a bit which doesn't help anything. And if you run around a wall or building, the camera doesn't follow you, instead it pans up so you get an overhead view shot instead!
Next there are the controls. Everything is just so clustered to me. Press and hold a button to aim, then release the button to shoot? What if I don't want to shoot? I just found the whole damn control scheme frustrating as you can easilly get your controls jumbled up due to the setup.
Overall, this game might look good, but unless your willing and patient to learn the controls and get around the horrible cameras, this is definately not a game for everyone. Fans familiar with the series will (and have) flock to it, but noobs beware is all I can say.
And for those of you who are wondering, yes, I've played my share of stealth games like Manhunt and Splinter Cell, both of which I'd rate and recommend higher than this overhyped money maker. No, I haven't played very far into the game, but I can't be bothered to waste anymore time on this and would rather kill my gaming hours playing games that I'd enjoy and have good things to say about than this.

Ratings:
Graphics: 7
Sound: 7
Gameplay: 4
Lifespan: 2
Overall: 3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home